Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The little t guide to... Being a foodie


Do you know what this is? It's a sushi Christmas tree of course- isn't it cool? I found it here.

I don't know too much about cooking (hence why I've never tried to do a recipe post), but what I am good at is talking about and eating food. And isn't that what being a foodie is all about?

I know what you are thinking- poor talentless little t- anyone can talk about and eat food. ANYONE. But no! It takes years of practice- keeping up to date on the newest food trends (Sushi Christmas trees?), hours of labourous trawling through food blogs for the latest must-eats, watching reruns of The Restaurant and mimiking Tom Doorley... the arduous list goes on.

Never fear! I've done the legwork for you and when it comes to that all-defining moment in a foodie's career- the complicated menu- here is my little t guide so that you too can avoid pointing at the menu like a simpleton...

The top ten mispronouced foodie words (and how to pronounce them):

Bruschetta
(Broo-skeh-tah)
Gnocchi (Nyoh-kee)
Gyro (Yeer-oh)
Huitlacoche (Wheet-lah-koh-chay)
Pouilly-Fuisse (Poo-yee-fwee-say)
Mole (Moh-lay)
Paczki (Poonch-key)
Pho (Fuh)
Prosciutto (Proh-shoo-toe)
Sake (Sah-kay)

Which foodie words do you have issues with pronoucing?

10 comments:

Oh Emma. said...

Quinoa is my *favourite* frequently mispronounced work.
(...have to admit to never having heard of Huitlacoche or Mole!)

Jude said...

I seriously would LOVE that sushi Christmas tree in my living room! Haha, I love the mispronounced list - I'll probably go around all day saying prosciutto in my head now :)

Closet Fashionista said...

Haha that is so cute! Too bad I don't like sushi XD
I have trouble saying lots of stuff...haha
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

*** said...

Thank you for this guide ... maybe you can give us some short descriptions. What is Huitlacoche or Mole, or paczki? I thought I was a foodie ... hahaha

Samantha said...

LOVE the sushi tree! I want one! :o)

-Samantha

http://thisfashionista.blogspot.com

becca said...

aha!
you got me on a bunch of these, thelma.
words I haven't had to use much, but in my mind I said it differently
thanks! this is helpful!

Catita said...

you are so lucky to have bangs! In Holland it is so humid I jut dont dare ;)
And I want all that sushi!
xoxo
Catita

Laura said...

sushi christmas tree! omg adorable

Thelma Frayne said...

Okay so Mole is a thick Mexican-style sauce, huitlacoche is a type of edible fungus (I think it grows on corn) and paczki are traditional Polish pastries (similar to doughnuts).

Emma, how could I forget Quinoa (keen-wa)??

xx

its simple love said...

ha ha I am glad you were inspired by the picture! I loved it too. And I love gnocchi's. I always get nervous ordering them because I feel I am saying them wrong... ha ha. Thanks for the clarification!

Rachael