Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Thing #80: Start a Tradition

Here’s the tradition:  a family picnic for Ferragosto, an Italian holiday celebrated on August 15.  My family claim no Italian roots and my Italian friends tell me I can’t even pronounce it properly. Pffft, I sound exactly like this.  Anyway, I have no idea why this is the tradition, but it is!

1-P1070416

3-DSC_0121

2-Ferragosta Picnic

Ferragosto  2012, Inistioge, Co. Kilkenny (I blogged about it here).  I love that photo of Jamie and I anxiously taking photographs of the food.  My family like to reminisce of a time when they were allowed to just eat their food without anyone taking pictures of it first.

1-Farewell Ireland, August 2011

2-Farewell Ireland, August 20111

Ferragosto 2011, White Gap, Curracloe, Co. Wexford

Both years, the celebrations have coincided with my return to the UAE for a new school year so it’s always been bittersweet.  This year, it will make a nice change to not have to say goodbye to everyone afterwards!

€5 has been donated to UNICEF Ireland for the completion of this ‘thing’.  Click here if you too would like to donate online.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a lovely family tradition (if a little unusual! I've never heard of Ferragosto!)

k said...

i say keep it going!

Erin said...

Any excuse to get family together (even if the tradition isn't culturally your own) is fine by me! You can never have too much love or too much picnic food. xo

Camila Faria said...

Looks like a very fun tradition!

Diana Mieczan said...

Such a wonderful little tradition:) Kisses, darling.

EMA said...

What I love about Ferrogosto is that the whole family usually take the month of August to go travel!

You pics look so much fun btw :)

http://www.themirroronthewall.com

Thelma Frayne said...

I intend to Krystal.

@ EMA, Another thing I didn't know about!