Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Rape Escape

Serious topic today.  I read this via Tea for One:

I don’t mean to impose a personal favour on you guys, but I really would like to ask that everyone who follows me re-blog this.  I don’t think I made it very clear but last month I was sexually assaulted by someone who I thought was my friend (I don’t want to talk about it don’t ask), and it’s… really fucked with my head.  Had I known this a month ago I would have been able to get away.  So, essentially, I’m really pleading with you to re-blog this so everyone who follows you doesn’t get stuck in the same position I was with no way out.  I mean again I don’t want the point of this to be my sob story or whatever but if you could re-blog this it would seriously mean a lot.

It is a horrible thing to even imagine being in this situation, but visualising how you need to react makes an escape so much more likely should it ever happen to you.  We have all heard accounts of women, when attacked, feeling completely paralysed by shock and fear.  Having a plan in the event of an attack means a better chance that your body will go into autopilot to get you out of danger.  As uncomfortable as it makes me (even watching this video), I’m going to practice this with my friends. 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate that we still have to teach women how not to get raped - instead of teaching men not to rape. It's so fecked up.

Erin said...

I'm so, so sorry T. I'll repost this, of course. But I so agree with the comment above that it absolutely sucks that we need to teach women how to defend themselves against something COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE because men shouldn't rape. No one should force themselves onto another person. And no one should live in fear that it will happen. I'm here if you need to talk. xoxo

shannah said...

Every girl needs to watch this

k said...

thats brilliant..thanks for sharing

Jessica said...

I just tweeted the video, thanks for sharing.

Thelma Frayne said...

I think you misunderstood Erin, I read this post on a different blog and re-posted it.

As for the comments about how it sucks to have to teach women this... so, so true.