Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The little t guide to… Holidaying in the Emirates (Part 6)

Welcome to the finale of my UAE guide- it’s the one where I tell you to visit the Grand Mosque and wrap it all up by answering your questions and emails.

grandmosque2

Yeah, so visit the Grand Mosque: It’s not just for Muslims! That’s not exactly their tagline but it’s true. If you cover yourself up nicely and take off your shoes, they’ll let you in for a look around.

grandmosque3

grandmosque4

It’s stunningly beautiful  and one of the few things in life that is completely free.  I could tell you all about it but it’s one of those things you just have to see for yourself.

grandmosque1

grandmosque6

(Doesn’t it look like Aladdin’s Palace?)

uae flag

As for your questions on this series, I’ve answered them all as best I could (apologies if I frustrated you by not dealing with the practicalities earlier…).

When is the best time to visit?

October – (early) May.  If you have any kind of aversion to the heat, don’t come in the Summer when temperatures soar high into the 40s.  Ramadan, the Islamic month of fasting, is best avoided at all costs.  There are countless disruptions to normal everyday goings-on and it is illegal to eat or drink anything in public (even bottled water) during daylight (fasting) hours.

Do I need to cover up?

I get asked this so much.  The short answer is no, you don’t, but allow me to expand.

To me, Dubai feels like any other International city regarding what I would and would not wear.  I have never once thought, I’d like to wear this but I better not.  However, I am not inclined to wear anything that could double as swimwear in any city.  If you are that way inclined, you should think about making a few adaptions for the culture (maybe you should think about making a few adaptions anyway… just sayin’…)

Abu Dhabi is marginally more conservative.  When in doubt, cover your shoulders and stick to a knee-length for skirts/ shorts.  You’ll probably feel more comfortable.

Bear in mind that you might get a few lingering glances anyway.

Does everyone speak English?

Yes.

How close is Abu Dhabi to Dubai?

Abu Dhabi and Dubai are about an hour’s drive apart, on a very straight, boring road.  Have some caffeine in your system if you’re the driver!

Is it like the Sex and the City 2 movie?

It is exactly nothing like the Sex and the City 2 movie.

The hotels you recommended are fully booked.  Where should I stay?

I’m not the most qualified person to be answering this question.  I am fortunate enough to have some very welcoming and lovely relations in Dubai who make their place seem more like home to me than where I reside the rest of the time! 

Having said that, the standard of hotels in Abu Dhabi and Dubai is very good and I don’t think you’ll go too far wrong if you read the reviews on TripAdvisor and Booking.com (that’s all I did).  In Dubai, look at the Asiana, Pearl Marina, Suite Novotel or Le Meridien Fairway (a good choice beside the airport).  Any of the Premier Inns are an excellent budget option.  They tend to be located a little outside the city, but there are free shuttles provided daily.  In Abu Dhabi, try the Grand Millennium Al Wahda, the Mercure or Centro by RotanaThe Aloft is also a fantastic choice- the rooms are huge and you can fit a football team in the shower.  Not that I’ve tried.  Every room has two queen sized beds (good if you’re travelling in a group and don’t mind bunking in together).

Is everything very expensive?

No, but I’m comparing things with Ireland.  If you are travelling from the States, you’ll think the price of everything is outrageous.  Hotels, taxis and eating out are significantly cheaper than at home.  Alcoholic drinks are slightly more expensive.  The malls are a blend of designer stores (I have no idea how prices compare) and popular American and European high-street chains (prices seem to be, on average, the same as home).  Car rentals are very reasonable and you’ll pay next to nothing on petrol.  It can be cheaper, per litre, than water in some places!

camel1

Let me know if you have any more questions- I really really love hearing from you- or read the whole guide by clicking here!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

You've really given me a case of wanderlust with these posts, lady.

When is your actual birthday?

xo

Thelma Frayne said...

It was on St. Patrick's day Emma!

Bonnie said...

Ahhhhh, I want to travel so badly right now!

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Miss Southern Prep said...

Oh my goodness, all of those pictures are gorgeous! I wish I had a private jet so I could fly over there right now and spend a week relaxing!

Amy Shaughnessy said...

Those are some pretty incredible pictures. It is hard to imagine that something that beautiful exists! There just isn't architecture like that in good ole Louisiana...

Amy

fashionandbeautyfinds.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Looks like am amazing trip,Cool post, i really like your blog and found it from a comment you left on a another blog. Would you like to follow each other?
If you have facebook, I would be really gratful if you like my page: http://www.facebook.com/newyorkdoll

Aimee
www.new-yorkdoll.blogspot.com
xxx

Diana Mieczan said...

I love the whole guide, sweetie. Its brilliant and now I want to take a trip there:) Have a great day, Muah

Thelma Frayne said...

Thanks! I'm on my holidays from 4pm today so I promise I'll get around to answering the rest when I'm back. Be patient with me xx

Caro * said...

Wonderful post !! It must be a magical place ;)

Nikki said...

What an experience! So no spice market and run ins with Aiden? Darn ;)

Blogger said...

By going to RentalCars you can discover the cheapest car hire from over 49,000 international locations.