Sunday, May 15, 2011

Thing #64: Go to a Comedy Gig

des bishop1

Okay so this is a little out-of-date because I went to see Des Bishop’s My Dad was Nearly James Bond back in February and I’m only posting about it now.  The show was a tribute to Des’ father, Mike Bishop who was terminally ill with lung cancer at the time.  In this show, Des abandons his usual stand-up style in favour of chronicling his Dad’s life- a story of a successful model/ actor who gave up his glamorous lifestyle in favour of a steady job as a department store manager once his three boys were born.

Following a year long battle with cancer, Mike Bishop passed away on the 4th February 2011.  Our tickets were booked for a show in the Town Hall Theatre in Galway on the 12th, which was postponed.  At the last minute, Des decided to go ahead with the scheduled dates and returned to Ireland to perform just a week after his dad died. 

The show was emotionally very touching and funny in that funeral kind of way- where you laugh but with a lump in your throat.  Overall, an amazing performance from my all-time favourite comedian!

€5 has been donated to The Ride to Conquer Cancer for the completion of this ‘thing’- read about it and donate online by clicking here.

16 comments:

stylenuggets said...

We went to see a stand-up comedian called Dai Henwood this weekend and enjoyed every bit of it.

k said...

wow that definitely sounds like it was an experience..

Nikki said...

Sounds amazing. What a great tribute to his father.

molly said...

Sounds so emotional. It must have been an amazing show.

ivy's closet said...

Really must have been intense. Love the post.

audrey marie said...

sounds like it must have been a once in a life time show!

lucy and sarah said...

I'm sure it was a great performance to see. Thanks so much for posting about it.

Rachel - Notes from my closet said...

You are doing so well with your list :) sounds like a great night :)

Love, Vanilla

http://notesfrommycloset.blogspot.com/

Chicca said...

WOW, it sounds like it was an emotional experience...
http://chiccastyle.blogspot.com/

Couture Carrie said...

Sounds fabulous, darling!
What fun!

xoxox,
CC

erica said...

I have always wanted to go to a comedy show!

xo

Bonnie said...

I went to my first comedy show a few weeks ago when Mr. A and I saw Bob Saget. It was epic. It makes me really want to see more.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Unknown said...

This sounds really awesome. I love seeing stuff like this - especially when there is so much passion involved.

sheila @ Elements said...

I've never heard of Des Bishop, but I'll have to see if he does any stand up on the Comedy Channel so I can check him out.

It must have been terribly hard for him to go on stage and try to be funny but sometimes laughter through the tears is the best medicine.

Unknown said...

"you laugh, but with a lump in your throat." I love that, totally identifiable. what an amazing story!

xoxo

Leia said...

I'd love to go to a stand-up comedy show one day!

Leia