Thursday, November 18, 2010

Wa


Wa Café, 13 New Dock Street, Galway.

I'd been dying to go to Wa for ages. It is the sweetest little Japanese café on the docks in Galway. I had never heard anyone talk about it, so the lure was self-created after I happened upon it one day in town- It wasn't open, but I could read the menu and press my nose against the glass for a peek inside. It promised fresh sushi rolls at the bargain price of €3.

On my first visit, it was a little cold out and I needed some warming up. Forgetting Fiona's warning on its fishy-ness, I ordered Miso soup and Rice Balls for dunking and was a bit disappointed. But everything else about this little place charmed me. I've been back to sample their vegetarian sushi rolls (what I know and love) and Otsumami (Japanese tapas) (Amazing!) and left very pleased.

It's Galway's hidden jem: nice relaxed atmosphere, cool photographic art on the walls, lovely smiley server, high stools facing the street (for people-watching) and yummy juices and snacks.

When you're in Galway, go.

No comments: