Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Top 10: Feel-Good Movies

You know how much I love lists- so naturally I made this a ‘top ten’.  These are the movies I go to when I need a hug, but the people who love me are not there at that exact moment. 

10. The Pursuit of Happyness

THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS

Yes, the majority of this movie is frustration, heartache and suffering.  But at its core is real life evidence that if we are prepared to work (really) hard, education is a ticket  out.  I think that’s a good message.  And Christopher (Will Smith’s son in the film, and in real life) is just. too. cute.

9. Stranger than Fiction 

feelgood1

I adored this film for everything it was not.  Nothing about it is cookie-cutter cinema.  It is definitely not is a typical Will Ferrell movie- he keeps his pants on and actually acts.  It is funny and subtly romantic without ever bordering on cheesy, and the relationship between Harold and Ana (Maggie Gyllenhaal) will make you believe in real love between ordinary people (my favourite scene is when he brings her flours- she is a baker!).

8. The Holiday

theholiday_movie

Ingredients for a feel-good movie:  Cameron Diaz, Idyllic setting(s), Christmas,  Snow,  Falling in love, The comic genius that is Jack Black,  An endearing old man,  The nice guys finishing first…

Cheeeeeeeck.

7. 500 Days of Summer

500 days of summer

One of my favourite films of all time, feel-good or otherwise.  It’s weird how it is not always the happiest endings that make us feel good.  This is a romantic comedy, but with all the hurt and anger, just like in real life.

6. There’s Something About Mary

somethingaboutmary

There is something about Mary, isn’t there?  I don’t think I have met anyone who doesn’t like this movie.  Even if I am in a really bad humour, I can’t help but laugh at the ‘7 minutes abs’ sketch (do you remember?)

5. When Harry Met Sally

whenharrymetsally

This is the original romantic comedy.  I find it weird how this was released when I was 3 years’ old, but translates perfectly to the little differences between men and women and the complex tangle of emotions we feel in relationships today.

4. Pretty Woman

prettywoman

You are sitting at home on a weeknight  and you realise Pretty Woman is on TV.  So you make yourself a cup of tea, put on a white bathrobe and watch it for the umpteenth time.  No one plans it, but for some reason that is the most natural thing in the world to do.  A prostitute rescued from the streets by Richard Gere may not seem like the classic fairy tale, but somehow this is Disney for adults. 

3. Chocolat

chocolat

Chocolat is magical.  That’s all I’m saying.  Watch it please.  Oh, and you’ve got to make yourself a steamy cup of hot chocolate first.  Is that a given?  Get the good stuff- the kind that is like little chocolate buttons that you stir into hot milk (I brought some back to Abu Dhabi from here).  You’ll thank me for it later.

2. Love, Actually

loveactually

The first time I seen this movie in the cinema, I wanted to stay for the later showing and watch it all over again.  My date wouldn’t accommodate me.  Huff.  I’ve made up for it by watching it at least once a year since then, usually in the first week of December. Last year, watching this about a week before I flew home for Christmas, I can’t explain how excited the airport arrivals scene made me!

1. Forrest Gump

forestgump

“Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know which one you’re gonna get” – possibly the most over-quoted line of all time, and essentially flawed in that most boxes of chocolates come with one of those little cards inside the box telling you exactly what you get.  Other than that, I reckon this movie is close to perfect.  Everyone has seen it, but you need to see it again.  There is so much you’ve missed, trust me.  Told as a simple and unpretentious story, the most important of life’s lessons can be found right in this one film.

 

What movies make you feel like everything is okay in the world?

23 comments:

Ballet Pumps And Roses said...

Great picks ! I love Chocolat, Amelie and Priceless.

http://www.balletpumpsandroses.com

Unknown said...

Withnail and I. There's something wrong with me, isn't there?!

Unknown said...

Oh and Housesitter! Can't beat a bit of classic Goldie.

Annemarie said...

Great post! You picked my top 3 favorites. When Harry Met Sally, The Holiday, and Love Actually are my go-to's every time! xo

Anna (South Molton St Style) said...

Love this list, I have them all. Just found you through googling 'French style'! Glad I did, you have a lovely blog - you definitely have a new follower (on bloglovin) xx

www.southmoltonststyle.com

Style Servings said...

Great list! You made me want to watch all of them!

http://styleservings.blogspot.com/

Summer-Raye said...

great choices.

Jillian said...

Completely agree with your picks! The Holiday, Chocolat, Love Actually and 500 Days are among my favorite movies. I can watch them over and over. I also love Amelie and 10 Things I Hate About You (this one's a guilty pleasure).

Popcorn, Pugs & Peonies said...

I could watch (500) Days of Summer over and over again. You picked some really fantastic movies here. I would add 13 Going on 30 to the list:)

*Erin

Diana Mieczan said...

Fantastic list and Love, Actually is one of my all time favourite movies. I also adore the Holiday!Have a great day, sunshine! xo

Thelma Frayne said...

Everyone is saying Amelie, and I'm ashamed to say I've never seen it! I'll be downloading it to watch this weekend.

Emma, I've never heard of Withnail and I, so I couldn't even begin to judge you. I just googled it and I must admit, I'm intrigued...

As for Housesitter, I can't stomach anything with Steve Martin.

Finally, welcome Anna! I love that I come up under a google search for French style :)

Unknown said...

I don't know about feel-good but Withnail and I is one of my all-time favourite films - you have to see it!

Ashley said...

I LOVE 500 days and When Harry Met Sally. I'm really in love with realistic movies because that's my personality, and that's life!!

Selvaggia Capizzi said...

The Pursuit of Happiness! First I love the story and then i think that Gabriele Muccino is one of the best directors in the world!

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

Love the movie "Pretty Woman"! =)

pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com

Elisa @ Crazy, Amazing Life said...

I've seen all of these (and LOVED most of them!) except The 500 days of Summer - I think I need to change that, stat :-)

ice pandora said...

Love The Pursuit of Happyness, 500 Days of Summer, Chocolate, Love Actually and Forrest Gump ^^

xx

Thelma Frayne said...

I'll watch it Emma and report back!

500 days of Summer is the best, Elisa, you have to see it!

Jenna Griffin | Gold & Bloom said...

oh, i love your picks! i have never seen chocolat, but i think i am going to rent it tonight! thanks for sharing. wishing i was in ireland...

xx

Nikki said...

Love Actually, Chocolat, The Holiday...all my favs too!

Hanushka said...

totally agree with the holiday and forest gump! added a few to my watch list :)

Anonymous said...

Love this list! I'm definitely going to add these movies to my Must-see list. Another goody to add to it is "Shakespeare in Love" with Gwenyth Paltrow, Joseph Fiennes and Geoffery Rush. It's a forgotten-one on many of these favorite lists.

Thelma Frayne said...

Thanks Christine- I actually haven't seen it, but I'm hosting a movie, pizza and cocktails night this weekend so your advice came at just the right time. I'll download it :)