Wednesday, September 26, 2012

NYC Nails

During this New York Fashion Week,  I didn’t follow the catwalk shows as closely as I usually do.  I found myself drawn into what was going on backstage.  For me, the hair, make-up and in particular, nail trends are always the best bits.  You can be inspired and imitate without it costing an absolute fortune.

So, for those of us who don’t have a fortune to spend:

nyc1

Sally Hansen for Prabal Guruing in Angel Bite

It’s weird that I find this appealing, not least because of all my blood-related phobias.  I love that its theatrical and macabre without being completely over-the-top.

nyc2

Revlon Top Speed nail enamel in Spirit, worn for the Rag & Bone show

White nails.  White goes with everything.  It’s the new black.  Was that too obvious?

nyc4

OPI for Jason Wu

Or maybe this is the new black: a colour I can only describe as off-black.  I love it!  This is OPI in Suzi Skis in the Pyrenees.  Wouldn’t you buy it for the name alone?

nyc3

Essie for Carolina Herrera

I never opt for a French manicure- it should be the ultimate in neutral sophistication but I think it always ends up with the white looking too white for an overall unnatural look.  This, to me is what a French manicure should look like: clean and simple.  You can achieve this by applying the white tip first, followed by two layers of Essie nail polish in Adore-A-Ball.  Wouldn’t this be the perfect wedding look?

More on pinterest, if you like.

12 comments:

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Love those top nails, so pretty x

Unknown said...

I really love the first ones, too - I would make a right mess of it if I tried to imitate, though. Sadface.

k said...

i agree with the french manicure thing, i can handle it on my toes but haven't even done it in so long!

Camila Faria said...

Loving that french manicure! You're right, it's so clean and simple!

Thelma Frayne said...

Oh I wouldn't dream of trying it myself Emma... but I'm thinking of taking this picture to the right manicurist!

Couture Carrie said...

Gorgeous manis!
Love the off-black!

xoxox,
CC

Erica said...

I'm all about those dark moody nails. Perfect for the season.

Leslie said...

The model at the top has such a pretty, natural bronzed look. Interesting what you say about a French manicure. I agree.. I'm going to try the essie color over white and see how it looks!

Ashley said...

I'm diggin the off black :)

Seriously Thelma, Galway is probably in my top 3 favorite places in the world. I totally fell in love with it when I was there. MOSTLY because the people are hilarious and fantastic. I felt like the Irish were always trying to pull one over on us ;) Is that how you are too??? hehe.

Diana Mieczan said...

I really like the look of that off-black colour. It looks very stylish. Happy day, sweetie

Thelma Frayne said...

The off-black is my favorite too!

Caro * said...

Beautiful post, love manucure :)