Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My Reading List

I am a person who, once I have started a book, will force myself to finish it no matter how bad it is or how little I am enjoying it. The result is the curse of the bad book: I start a book, don't like it, but continue to half heartedly plough through it for months. Add to this my unreliable method of choosing books based on their interesting covers! So, following a string of bad reading experiences, I have decided to take a different approach.

I've compiled a list of famous and critically acclaimed literature which I've never read. I'm guessing that all the hype can't be completely unfounded - providing me with some guaranteed good reads.

Here's the list (in no particular order):

1. Wuthering Heights- Emily Bronté
2. To Kill a Mocking Bird - Harper Lee
3. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
4. Great Expectations -Charles Dickens
5. The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
6. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Maquez
7. The Colour Purple - Alice Walker
8. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
9. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
10. Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

(I've only listed 10 to start with so feel free to suggest more)