Friday, October 29, 2010
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
It has taken me quite some time to pluck* up the courage to tell you about this, but there has been a death in the family. That is how Dad chose to phrase it when breaking the news of Orlando's passing to me.
You might have read my post about Orlando and co. here but for those of you who are not familiar, Orlando Plume was a very exotic breed of cockerel, whose time with us was all too brief. As I mentioned in my last post, everyone** had grown fond of Orlando and it was a sad day for the family when he died. Currently we are all at different points in the 'five stages of grief' (I'm nearing the final stage- acceptance).
Of course, Orlando's memory has been somewhat tainted by a lingering feeling that we were all partly responsible for his death, or a sense that this tragedy could have been averted in some way. For me, I feel I should have probed further when we noticed that Orlando had stopped crowing in the mornings- a warning sign that I only too happily ignored at the time. For Dad, I'm sure he has considered the possibility that a carnivorous (and at times cannibalistic) diet was not the best option for a bird, despite his protestations that "They love it!"
The last time I was home, I asked Dad if he considered changing the hens' (Ellen and Portia) diets in light of recent events, to which he responded angrily "I didn't kill him". Dad is still in the denial stage.
* Pun intended
** Okay, not everyone- not Mammy
Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Friday, October 22, 2010
Thursday, October 21, 2010
It's such a shame, because for some people it seems ponytails are such a reliable, versatile option. If only I could just follow a step-by-step method and end up with the same beautiful results.
Getting it right:
Love this look = soft, polished, together.
Portia = sleek, elegant, demure...
Or Garance in this pic = carefree, laid-back, playful
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
One thing that myself and Scott have in common is that we continue to admire this man in spite of his infamous attack on a well-known female artist.
Monday, October 18, 2010
Director of Human Rights group, Liberty
Sunday, October 17, 2010
Listen to Anthony singing with Jenny Dunne HERE. It is beautiful and will move you.
*By discovering, I mean hearing them for the first time on Irish Beats on my way back to Galway of a Sunday night- and then taking credit.
Saturday, October 16, 2010
Friday, October 15, 2010
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
1. Fitting in with the company's dress culture
Thursday, October 7, 2010
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Tuesday, October 5, 2010
It's time to take pleasure in the little things... the inspiration for this post on the best cheap beauty buys. They all come in at under a tenner.
1. St. Moriz self tan: see ravings in previous post here. €4, Penneys.
2. Vaseline: While you're in Penneys, pick up a pot for €1. It kind of annoys me when people list vaseline as one of their dessert-island essentials, as if it is some kind of wonder product (why would you choose a little pot of petroleum jelly over, say firewood?), but I still think it deserves a place on this list.
3. Sephora milky make-up remover: This stuff is great. Sadly, you can't buy in Ireland. €6.50, Sephora (obviously).
4. Barbara Daly eye pencil in dark brown: Not too smudgy, just smudgy enough. €4.90, Tesco.
5. Original Source Mint and Tea Tree Shower Gel: My absolute favourite, but then I love anything that makes my skin tingle. They used to have a shaving gel too, but it was discontinued (why??). This is always on offer and you can usually get it for under €2 in Boots.
6. Loréal Elnett Hairspray: For backcombing and everything else. My tip is to get the biggest can- it gives a finer mist. €7.90 from Boots.
7. Pantene Aqua Light: A recent discovery after I was taken in by the 'swisssssh' ads. I got the Shampoo and Conditioner for €5 in Tesco.
8. Boots Coconut and Almond Leave-in Conditioner: Smells like holidays. I can't take credit for this one- thanks Roisin! €1.39 from Boots. STOCK UP.
9. Garnier Body Cocoon Body Moisturiser: 2 (400ml) bottles for €10, Boots.
10. Almond Oil: Facial massages are my newest de-stresser. You'll get it at most chemists for under €3.